The West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission (HEPC) and the West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education (CCTCE) are committed to initiatives such as the Advanced Placement program of the College Board which encourage prospective college students to aspire to higher intellectual achievements. The commission and council recognize the Advanced Placement program as one which will allow high school students to master college subject matter and to document their intellectual achievements through successful completion of Advanced Placement examinations.

Beginning with the 1994-95 academic year, the State College and University Systems, and subsequently the HEPC and CCTCE, have implemented a policy which will enable students who have successfully completed any Advanced Placement exams to receive academic credit at all public undergraduate institutions in West Virginia. Among the provisions of the policy are:

  1. High school students completing advanced placement examinations of the College Board with a minimum score of 3 will receive credit at any institution in the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission and the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia;
  2. When the examination is in the area of the student's major, the institution will award credit toward the major or core curriculum;
  3. An academic department within the institution, upon approval of the institutional faculty, may require a higher score than 3 on an Advanced Placement test if the credit is to be used toward meeting a course requirement for a major in the department; and
  4. Credits awarded by regionally accredited institutions of higher education for successful completion of Advanced Placement exams are transferable to the other state colleges and universities in accordance with the Advanced Placement policy of the receiving institution.

Listings of awards of Advanced Placement credit for each of the state higher education institutions are on the drop down menu below. Minimum scores, number of credits awarded, and available course equivalents are indicated. If the institution does not have an equivalent course, then no course is indicated in the course equivalent column. Credit is awarded, however, for successful completion of any College Board Advanced Placement examination. Credits are awarded once an official score report is received and the student is enrolled in the receiving institution.

To which college or university do you want to transfer AP credits:


Any questions on Advanced Placement credits should be directed to the institution or to:

Academic Affairs Office
West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Boulevard, E., Suite 700
Charleston, West Virginia 25301-2827
PH 304.558.0261―FX 304.558.0089