Life happens. But it shouldn’t get in the way of your college dreams. The West Virginia Emergency Grant Program was developed to provide quick, easy-to-access aid to students who are experiencing a short-term financial emergency that affects their ability to succeed college courses. Applying is easy and turnaround time is fast, so you can resolve the emergency and shift your focus back to your studies and your future.

Who Can Apply

This program is in a pilot phase. If you are experiencing an eligible emergency situation, have not already received a grant from this program, and attend (Bluefield State College, Concord University, New River Community & Technical College, Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College, and WV Northern Community College), you are eligible to apply.

What Can Be Covered

The grant pays for temporary, one-time financial needs that stems from an eligible emergency situation and prevent you from enrolling in, attending, or succeeding in your courses. It does not include routine, ongoing expenses like a monthly car payment or regular daycare bill.

Eligible emergency situations include:

  • Food insecurity (e.g., you are unable to purchase or access food)
  • Loss of or potential loss of housing (e.g., you are facing eviction, you had to move out due to an unsafe situation like a fire or domestic abuse)
  • Disruptions in transportation (e.g., your car is not running and needs repairs you can’t afford, your carpool situation ended and you need to access public transportation)
  • Disruptions in basic utility services at your residence (e.g., your electricity or water was turned off)
  • Disruptions in childcare (e.g., your family friend cannot watch your child for a week or your child has to be out of school due to COVID exposure, and you must pay for a sitter)
  • Inability to pay for an emergency medical procedure (e.g., you need to have a tooth pulled but cannot afford the medical bill)
  • Inability to resolve a registration hold with your college that is financial in nature
  • Inability to purchase required books and classroom supplies
  • Other emergency situations, as determined appropriate by your college

Campuses can distribute funds in the form of cash, bursar credit, or gift card to a locally available establishment like a grocery store.

How to apply

Click on the link below to apply. Once you do, someone from your college will reach out with more information. You can expect a response within one week. Please actively monitor your campus email and the phone number listed on your application during this time.



I am not sure if my emergency is eligible. Should I apply?

Yes. If you are not sure if your emergency expense is eligible, please apply anyways. Someone from your campus will reach out and help you navigate your emergency, even if the grant doesn’t cover your needs. You can also reach out directly to the contact at your campus, listed in the “How to Apply” section of this page.

Do I need to submit receipts or other documentation?

Your application is the only documentation you need to submit. Your campus should not ask you for receipts or to provide evidence of the emergency other than your signed application.

How many times can I apply?

A student may only receive one grant from this program. If you apply and are denied, you can apply again. If you have been approved for and received a grant in the past, you may not apply again.

Why can’t I receive this grant more than once?

The grant is intended to cover one-time, short-term expenses, not ongoing expenses. Your other financial aid, like Pell grants and student loans, can be used to cover more ongoing expenses.

Will I have to pay taxes on this money?

This money is considered financial aid, not income. In all but very select cases, you will not have to pay taxes on the grants. The only students who may have to consider it income are those who have enough grants and scholarships before receiving an emergency grant to cover their full cost of attendance, including things like housing and transportation.

I just got my money, but my situation is already resolved and I don’t need it anymore. How do I return the funds?

Contact the person at your campus who approved your grant for instructions.

If I am attending a different institution than those listed, am I eligible for this grant?

Not at this time. We are working to include additional institutions in the near future.

How were the pilot institutions selected?

The institutions were selected because they have the highest percentage of students who qualify for the Federal Pell Grant program among public institutions in West Virginia.

Who is funding these grants?

Through a generous grant from the Ascendium Education Group, Philanthropy West Virginia, The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation, and The Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation we are able to provide these funds to West Virginia students.