Getting Started: The Basics of CFWV
For students and families, thinking about college and "next steps' can become confusing and overwhelming! CFWV.com is there to help simplify some of those anxious feelings and next step actions. The Getting Started Section of CFWV Connect offers a broad look at what the site offers and where to begin.
Background Information: The College Foundation of West Virginia provides free resources to help students and families plan, apply, and pay for education and training beyond high school. CFWV.com is a free website that features career and college exploration tools, information about an federal and state--level mandated programs (including the PROMISE scholarship and Higher Education Grand Programs), and details about the state's college and universities.
Guided Lesson: What is CFWV.com?
Lesson Summary: Curious as to what the College foundation is all about? Are you interested in furthering your education beyond High School? In this lesson, individuals will create accounts and take a guided tour of CFWV.com.
Appropriate for: Grades 8-12
- Goals and Objectives:
- Students will be introduced to CFWV.com.
- Students will create CFWV.com accounts.
- Students will take a guided tour of CFWV.com using the introductory video found at the bottom of the page.
Click here to view relevant content standards and objectives.
- Students will open CFWV.com in their computer browser.
- If students already have an account, they may log into the site. If they do not, they need to click on 'Create An Account' found at the top right hand side of the page.
- To create an account, students will need to determine their role (middle school student, high school student, postsecondary student, adult, or parent) Students will input their birthdays and select the school that they attend from the drop down menu. Students will input their name, year of high school graduation, email address (students that do not have an email address can create one through CFWV.), desired account name and password.
- Once the account has been created, it is suggested that they complete the Account Information page that is included in the tools section (a: right) to store in a safe place or give to an organization administrator for future reference.
- Once the account has been created, students will click on the introductory video found at the bottom of the home page.
- Students make take time to navigate and explore the site.
- Students win reflect on this experience in their journals found in their Portfolios on the site. The Portfolio is the last tab on the main tool bar. This reflection can lead to a group conversation.
- Had you use the site before? If yes, in what capacity?
- What are your first reactions?
- What stood out to you?
- What parts of the site do you think you will most often use?
Download this Lesson